On May 5, 2021, the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators (CCMTA) announced an update regarding the Canadian ELD mandate. While the ELD mandate’s effective date is still June 12, 2021, provinces plan to support the mandate through a period of progressive enforcement without penalties, including elevated education and awareness, until June 12, 2022.
While enforcement policies have eased, it’s important to note the following 3 points:
1) Motive is still moving forward with third-party certification.
This notice does not change our approach to getting certified; we are still in that process. We remain committed to giving our customers 100% visibility and support during this time of transition, and we will notify you as soon as we receive certification confirmation.
2) Motive is still offering customers Canadian-specific functionality for early availability and testing.
We are releasing v.35 of the Motive Driver App in early June so customers can have access to Canadian compliance functionality to familiarize themselves with the technology and get ahead of the adoption curve. Check out our tips, tricks, and resources below to prepare your team for enforcement.
3) Most importantly, Motive is still encouraging all Canadian fleets to adopt ELD technology as soon as possible to help avoid operational disruptions.
Enforcement dates across Canada’s 14 different provincial enforcement authorities are not currently defined, and each will have its own unique timeline. Given the lack of clarity on province-specific enforcement, it is best to be prepared and avoid taking risks.
As the #1 ELD in North America, we know what it takes to help fleets navigate mandates and meet their compliance obligations. One of the biggest hurdles during an ELD mandate is the steep learning curve for drivers, safety managers, and law enforcement. The best way to prepare for a seamless transition is to adopt technology early — and proactively train your drivers and back office to avoid any operational interruptions or violations.
We know that navigating new compliance regulations isn’t easy. We’ve been there before with the US ELD mandate, and we’re committed to supporting fleets like yours through this transition.
Your Canadian education center
Arguably the biggest challenge when preparing for ELD compliance is simply sifting through the massive amount of educational materials out there. We’ve gathered all of our resources here to help your team get up to speed on all things ELD compliance, and how you can get ahead of the adoption curve. Don’t forget to bookmark this page to keep these resources handy.
Watch and learn
Turn on, tune in, and learn from our experts. We’ve hosted two in-depth webinars on the Canadian mandate, and recordings of both are available to watch on-demand any time. While some resources were created prior to the CCMTA’s May 5, 2021 enforcement announcement, our webinars serve as excellent starting points for mandate education:
- We partnered with Canadian Corporate Driver Trainer, Carlos Pereira, to specifically discuss how you can help train drivers early to avoid any operational interruptions or violations.
- Our team joined Scopelitis Transportation Consulting to host a focused conversation on ELD compliance requirements, mandate enforcement, and the ELD certification process for devices used in Canada.
Canadian customer success stories
Check out our compliance success stories to see how fleets across Canada have already implemented Motive to meet and exceed their compliance and fleet management needs. Across all industries, from oil and construction to energy and industrial services, you can get a sneak peek into the ways businesses like yours have leveraged our platform to stay compliant — and ahead of the competition. Check out our Canadian fleet case studies today:
Get the facts
We know fleet managers are busy. To help you save valuable time, we’ve compiled FAQs and fact sheets to serve as your one-stop shop for regulatory requirements, product functionality, and much more, including:
- Blog: How to Start a Trucking Business in Canada
- Guide: The Complete Guide to Canada Hours of Service Rules
- Letter: Motive’s Commitment to Canadian ELD Certification in English and Canadian French
- Motive’s Canadian ELD Certification Status
- Canadian ELD compliance FAQ
- Electronic logging devices for commercial motor vehicles
- Approved vendor list:
- Transport Canada: List of certified electronic logging devices
- ELD certification bodies:
When it comes to the upcoming Canadian mandate, there’s no need to scour countless websites trying to find the information you want. Count on us to keep your fleet informed.