The emerging technology of GPS fleet tracking is transforming day-to-day operations for fleets. Knowing where your assets are, where they’re headed, and when they’ll arrive means you can maximize operational efficiency and customer service at the same time. The hardest part of implementing GPS technology is choosing the right system.
GPS truck tracking is an incredibly accurate technology that provides real-time updates from linked devices virtually anywhere on the continent. This helps you streamline communications and reduce or eliminate unknown operational factors like asset location or the best routes.
The anatomy of GPS fleet tracking
Accuracy is one of the many goals related to shipping cargo over the road. GPS technology, short for global positioning system, utilizes a complex network of satellites to pinpoint a device.
Before GPS tracking was possible, fleets depended on phone calls and assumptions. The best GPS truck tracking solutions update on-screen coordinates while the vehicle is in motion, giving you precise information that you can rely on. Location data is acquired with almost no effort from drivers once the device is connected.
Most important benefits and features of a GPS fleet tracking system
GPS technology brings tangible benefits to fleets of all sizes. Here are a few of the key characteristics of a fleet tracking system.
Making safety a priority
Utilization of GPS fleet tracking means safety is a priority before difficult situations arise. Seeing all of your assets on one dashboard helps you save time and money. Fleet managers can move from a reactive to a proactive safety approach.
For the most critical shipments that require down-to-the-minute data for invoicing or updating, GPS fleet tracking is a reliable tool. You can cut fuel costs by finding the most productive route while identifying locations that most often experience delays. Installation of many device options is simplified with features like a customizable dashboard, outfitted for usability with minimal technical skills.
Alerts help prevent big problems
A GPS tracking system can provide navigation and traffic data. For fleets and owner-operators, it also provides information about vehicle diagnostics, maintenance, and driving incidents like hard braking, hard acceleration, and hard corners. In a good GPS tracking system, this data is delivered to the fleet manager or safety manager or back-office team in real-time when events occur.
Simplicity meaning the best solutions are easy to use
The best GPS truck tracking software is easy to learn and accessible via all of your devices, including mobile. The dashboard should be simple and intuitive.
Excellent support improves your fleet’s customer service
Any system is only as good as the support it comes with. Tracking software for fleets should be backed by engineers and technicians that keep it up-to-date and bug-free, and are available to help you solve any problem you encounter.
GPS fleet tracking system feature overview
Robust features will allow you to get the most benefit from your tracking system. Here are some fleet tracking solution features that can make an impact.
- Geofencing – Create a digital geofence around a particular location. Your system will send an alert immediately to dispatchers or fleet managers when an asset enters or leaves a predetermined geographical boundary.
- Location history – Sort through historical data on route usage, track critical events, and even get a bird’s eye view of your fleet’s position at any given moment.
- Theft awareness – Dispatchers will be able to track and trace assets. You’ll know sooner if an asset’s location requires your attention, and in the event of a loss, you can locate and recover it faster.
- Driver safety – Awareness of driver behavior creates opportunities for improvement and growth. Clean safety records reduce the cost and inconvenience of violations and collisions, as well as serve as proof of the fleet’s standards. A GPS tracking solution includes behavioral data like hard braking and vehicle speeds.
- Customer service – Access to a support team behind the software lets you know your fleet is secure.
- Fuel card integration – Record fuel card data to formulate reports of all kinds. Understand your fleet’s fuel efficiency at a granular level with cost per gallon, miles between fill-ups, and state-by-state cost reports.
- Vehicle maintenance and diagnostics – Vehicle maintenance alerts, diagnostic trouble codes, and health reports go straight to the fleet desk from the truck.
- Ease of use – A great GPS tracking system for fleets includes mobile access and cloud storage.
Case study shows GPS tracking improves construction site productivity
Companies of all kinds are investing in GPS fleet tracking systems to learn ways to increase output, including world-class construction company Equipment Corporation of America (ECA).
With nine locations and a high number of assets and technicians to track, ECA decided GPS tracking could provide crucial data to inform business decisions. The GPS tracking solution gives them visibility into their vehicles, equipment, and job sites in a way they never had before.
“I like having a quick visual, rather than having to go through rental files or equipment notes to see what the area of operation is for the guy and where our equipment is sitting.” Dave Schell, Corporate Director of Parts and Service at ECA.
GPS tracking technology can help streamline operations and customer service
From asset tracking to route optimization, GPS fleet tracking systems add value on multiple fronts. A good GPS tracking solution becomes an important tool in a driver improvement strategy by providing data-grounded insights into daily operations. GPS truck tracking streamlines internal communications between fleet managers and drivers.
Ultimately, the quality of customer service your business can offer is elevated by GPS tracking. Fresh metrics concerning pick-ups and deliveries, along with real-time data about vehicle status, keeps you and your customers in the know.
You’ll also have the upper hand on safety and route optimization. Leveraging GPS tracking helps your fleet work at its highest levels of efficiency.
Learn more about how GPS tracking works here or if you’re interested in learning more about using a fleet management software in your business, check out this free guide. It walks through actionable strategies to modernize your fleet operations to support profitability and rapid growth.