Tracking trucks with GPS technology is transforming daily operations for fleet owners. Trucking GPS tracking systems allow companies to know exactly where their assets are, where they’re going, and when they’ll arrive at their destination.
Having truck-tracking GPS devices means fleet owners can maximize the efficiency of their fleets and provide exceptional customer service at the same time.
In order to make the most out of tracking trucks with GPS devices, you’ll want to have a better understanding of what commercial truck GPS tracking is, the benefits it can provide to your business, and how to choose the best truck-tracking GPS device.
What is commercial truck GPS tracking?
Commercial truck GPS tracking uses GPS technology to monitor assets and vehicle locations and activities. Trucking GPS tracking systems use cellular and satellite technology to locate vehicles and assets in real time.
Tracking trucks with GPS gives you the most accurate data on vehicle movements and locations, estimating fuel consumption and emissions levels, time spent on site, and equipment usage.
The valuable data gained by truck-tracking GPS devices allows fleet managers to make strategic decisions to increase the return on investment (ROI) of their fleets.
5 benefits of tracking trucks with GPS
Commercial truck GPS tracking helps improve productivity and make operations smoother. Put simply, it makes life easier for both fleet owners and truck drivers.
Here are a few of the main benefits of tracking trucks with GPS.
1. Planning better routes
Truck-tracking GPS devices help identify the best and worst roads by reviewing details from past trips. Fleet managers can also plan better routes with the ability to identify busy roads using location-based historical data.
2. Reducing cargo theft
Having truck-tracking GPS devices can also help prevent vehicle and cargo theft. Fleet managers are able to track the location of all vehicles in real time, and take quick action if a vehicle deviates from its path.
3. Preventing unauthorized vehicle use
With real-time GPS tracking and location history records, fleet managers will always be able to tell if a vehicle is being misused for unauthorized jobs or personal use.
4. Reducing administrative burden
Commercial truck GPS tracking reduces administrative burden because it eliminates paperwork and reduces the need for phone calls to drivers. Fleet administrators are able to get real-time updates on vehicle location by using truck-tracking GPS devices.
5. Getting automated, real-time alerts
Because commercial truck GPS tracking systems can track vehicles in real time, fleet managers can create virtual parameters to set up geofenced alerts when a vehicle enters and leaves a job site. These alerts can help inform customers of delays and notify shippers or receivers of vehicle activity.
Choosing a truck-tracking GPS device
The hardest part of implementing truck-tracking GPS devices is choosing the right system. Specialized features will allow you to get the most benefit from your commercial truck GPS tracking system.
Here are some fleet tracking solution features that can make an impact.
- Location history – Sort and look through historical data on routes used, track critical events, and even get a detailed view of your fleet’s position at any time.
- Theft awareness – Track and trace assets. Find out immediately if an asset’s location is cause for concern, and locate and recover the asset faster if you experience a loss.
- Driver safety – Be aware of driver behavior at all times to create opportunities for improvement and growth. Clean safety records will reduce violations and collisions and serve as proof of the fleet’s standards. A commercial truck GPS tracking solution should also include behavioral data like hard braking and vehicle speeds.
- Customer service – Know your fleet is secure with access to a customer support team that can answer questions and help troubleshoot problems.
- Fuel card integration – Record fuel card data to generate helpful reports. Understand fuel efficiency at a granular level with details like cost per gallon, miles between fill-ups, and state-by-state cost reports.
- Vehicle maintenance and diagnostics – Stay on top of vehicle performance with maintenance alerts, diagnostic trouble codes, and health reports.
- Ease of use – Enjoy a seamless experience with a commercial truck GPS tracking system that’s easy to use. Great ease-of-use features include mobile access and cloud storage.
Check out our complete guide on choosing the best truck GPS navigation system.
Is truck tracking software right for you?
Commercial truck GPS tracking software helps businesses of all sizes in various industries improve customer service, streamline operations, increase profits, and help provide protection in the event of a collision.
Learn more about truck tracking software with our free guide to help you modernize your fleet.