Telematics GPS tracking is a method to monitor vehicles, equipment, and assets using GPS technology. This information generally includes vehicle location and activities, driving behaviors, and real-time engine diagnostics. Below are examples of more data points provided with telematics GPS tracking:
- Vehicle maintenance issues
- Real-time vehicle and asset location
- Vehicle usage
- Fuel consumption
- Rapid acceleration
- Hard braking
- Hard cornering
- Vehicle idle time
How does telematics work?
Generally, the telematics device is connected to the vehicle’s onboard diagnostics port with a SIM card. Collected data is communicating to a central server by using a modem via wireless network.
Upon receiving the data, the server displays it through a secure website, allowing the end user to analyze the data and make more informed decisions to improve fleet efficiency.
Why fleet managers need a telematics device
Fleet managers see telematics as a major key technology to run their operations, providing vital features for improvement in areas such as:
- Safety. Telematics tracking provides data points that can be used to improve driver safety. For example, the device can provide in-vehicle coaching, driver behavior reporting, tracking stolen vehicles and incident notifications.
- Improved customer service. With real-time GPS tracking, trip reporting and routing tools, fleet managers can improve productivity and help fleets provide better service to their customers while keeping them well informed.
- Improved delivery times. Telematics tracking allows for fleet managers to track their drivers, and accurately determine when their drivers will arrive at their destination.
- Increased efficiency and productivity. With telematics, fleet managers have real-time location tracking and monitoring. With historical data, managers can identify the best and most efficient routes, speed up deliveries, and minimize fuel expenditures.
To learn how telematics can benefit your fleet, request a free demo of Motive’s all-in-one fleet management and telematics solution.